Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Easy Chicken and Rice soup


We have been under a Winter Storm warning for most of the past week, and with the extra snow today, we have about 20 inches of snow...which is unusual for Kansas City!  The picture above was from the second round of snow yesterday as it started with big snow flakes.  It's beautiful, but it also makes me crave comfort food.

I thought while being snowed in, I would create a new soup, that turned out pretty tasty and comforting!  I enjoy chicken and rice soup, and have found a new way to make it fast.  Not to mention that fact that it helps me use items out of my pantry.  I think I've mentioned before that I could live off my pantry stock for a couple of months.  

This recipe uses the Lipton (or Knorr) rice sides as the base of the soup, which makes it fast!  Now, I think I'm being very inventive with this idea, but I'm sure someone else has tried it before...please don't burst my bubble, I'm kinda proud of coming up with this one!

Here's what you need for the soup:

  • 1 packet of Knorr Rice Sides - chicken flavor 
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 c water 
Make the Knorr Rice Side as per the directions on the package.
  • 1 - 2 T olive oil
  • 6 - 7 button mushrooms - sliced
  • 2/3 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 onion - diced
  • 1 large can of chicken - I use the Kirkland brand from Costco
  • approximately 1 cup of chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup milk

In a soup pot, add the olive oil, onion and carrots to saute, add salt and pepper to taste.  As the onion gets translucent, add the mushrooms to saute for 2 more minutes.

Add the canned chicken and chicken stock and bring to a boil.  Once the rice side is done, add the milk to make it creamier, then add it directly to the soup pot, lower the temperature to medium, and simmer for 10 more minutes.  Add more stock or water if you would like your soup thinner; I personally like thicker soup.




 
Hope this helps keep you warm, especially if you are enjoying the winter wonderland like I am this week! 

Thinking of Spring!
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment